The Ubuntuzilla software is a python script that allows the user to install the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntuzilla has a support forum on the Ubuntu Forums in the 3rd party projects area, which you are encouraged to use if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
Here are some key features of "Ubuntuzilla":
* Automatically detects and downloads the newest Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey release from the Mozilla servers
* Allows you to make a choice of language for Firefox or Thunderbird
* Verifies the GPG signature (assures package integrity against malicious tampering or corrupt download) for Firefox or Thunderbird
* Verifies the MD5 sum for SeaMonkey
* Makes a date-stamped back-up of your Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey profile data
* Automatically integrates Firefox plugins that you have installed from the Ubuntu repositories
* Installs the new Firefox in /opt/firefox, Thunderbird in /opt/thunderbird, SeaMonkey in /opt/seamonkey
* Creates a SeaMonkey menu item in ''Applications -> Internet'' menu
* Checks all steps for successful execution
* Has a 'remove' action to remove the official Mozilla build and restore system to pre-installation state.
* Installs an update checker job that periodically performs automatic checks for new versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, or Seamonkey.
* Automatically checks for the latest Ubuntuzilla release and updates itself, to keep up with possible changes in the Mozilla website and release servers.
* Comes conveniently packaged in a .deb for easy installation
* Includes a very helpful man page, for those who don't like to read websites.
Install Dependencies: sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 libnotify-bin
Download deb package for Ubuntuzilla.
Double click to install the package. You can also use terminal to do the installation.
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/ubuntuzilla-4.6.1-0ubuntu1-i386.deb
Installing Firefox in Ubuntu
You’ll need to use a terminal to let Ubuntuzilla guide you through the installation.
Run this command to start: ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p firefox
Near the end of the process you should see The new Firefox version 3.5 has been installed successfully. Similarly if you want to install thunderbird or seamonkey, use following command
ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbirdRemoval:
ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p seamonkey
Enter this command to run the script (choose one depending on which software you want to remove; copy and paste to avoid typos):
ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p firefoxUpdates
ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p thunderbird
ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p seamonkey
To install the automatic update checker, just run the installation, follow the prompts at the end of installation and choose 'yes' to enable automatic update checking. If you have already installed the Mozilla software at an earlier time, and just want to enable the automatic update checking, you can run Ubuntuzilla with action "installupdater" to install the updater job separately. Use the following command (choose one depending on which software you want to check for updates; copy and paste to avoid typos):
ubuntuzilla.py -a installupdater -p firefox
ubuntuzilla.py -a installupdater -p thunderbird
ubuntuzilla.py -a installupdater -p seamonkey