Files can be copied to and from a mounted TrueCrypt volume just like they are copied to/from any normal disk (for example, by simple drag-and-drop operations). Files are automatically being decrypted on the fly while they are being read or copied from an encrypted TrueCrypt volume. Similarly, files that are being written or copied to the TrueCrypt volume are automatically being encrypted on the fly.
It's also possible to access the same encrypted partition/volume on multiple OSes, as long as they have TrueCrypt installed and are able to read the filesystem used on the disk. (So you still can't get at your ext3 filesystem on Windows!) This is particularly useful for encrypting the USB drive.
* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
* Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
* Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
* Encryption algorithms: AES (256-bit key), Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5 (128-bit key), Serpent (256-bit key), Triple DES, and Twofish ( 256-bit key) also supports cascading (eg, AES-Serpent-Twofish).
OpenSuSe 11.2 user can use "1-click" installer - here
Go to the truecrypt web site at:http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php
Download the correct version, Once it is downloaded untar and unzip: tar zxvf truecrypt*
This will create an executable file which can begin the installation. One thing to note is that if you have any dependencies you must meet those before you can proceed. Execute the file:
TrueCrypt 6.3a Setup
1) Install truecrypt_6.3a-0_i386.deb
2) Extract package file truecrypt_6.3a-0_i386.deb and place it to /tmp
To select, enter 1 or 2:
Choose 1) to install, You will need to accept the license.
After installation go to terminal and type command: truecrypt to open up the application.