REMnux isn't a fancy distribution that was built from scratch... In simple terms, it's a virtual machine that runs Ubuntu and has various useful malware tools set up on it.
Malware Analysis Tools Set Up On REMnux
* Analyzing Flash malware: swftools, flasm, flare
* Analyzing IRC bots: IRC server (Inspire IRCd) and client (Irssi). To launch the IRC server, type "ircd start"; to shut it down "ircd stop". To launch the IRC client, type "irc".
* Network-monitoring and interactions: Wireshark, Honeyd, INetSim, fakedns and fakesmtp scripts, NetCat
* Interacting with web malware in the lab: TinyHTTPd, Paros proxy
* Analyzing shellcode: gdb, objdump, Radare (hex editor+disassembler), shellcode2exe
* Dealing with protected executables: upx, packerid, bytehist, xorsearch, TRiD
* Malicious PDF analysis: Didier's PDF tools, Origami framework, Jsunpack-n, pdftk
* Memory forensics: Volatility Framework and malware-related plugins
* Miscellaneous: unzip, strings, ssdeep, feh image viewer, SciTE text editor, OpenSSH server
You can download the REMnux distribution as a VMware virtual machine, which is encapsulated in a zip archive file. The file's MD5 hash is dc28330411acafc6b7f595a11e8b7ea4.