linux poison RSS
linux poison Email

Social Media Player for Linux, Windows and MAC OSX - Tomahawk

Tomahawk is a project dedicated to creating an audio player as an alternative Banshee, Amarok, and Rhytmbox. Tomahawk interface looks clean and fits perfectly on any desktop environment such as Gnome, KDE, Xfce, and LXDE. Tomahawk can be installed on MAC OSX, Linux and Windows

Tomahawk is build to solve below mentioned problems:
 * Why can't I easily listen to all the music I have scattered across multiple computers, at multiple locations, from a single interface?
 * Why can I stream my home iTunes library to my laptop when I am at home, but I can't when I am somewhere else?
 * Conversely, how come I can stream my co-worker's iTunes library when we are both at the office, but only if we are on the same wireless network (or subnet)?
 * When I am reading a website that talks about a song, and I own that song, why can't I play my copy directly from that page?
 * Why can't I subscribe to, and import, playlist metadata from all over the web - and then have that resolve against any/all songs that I have access to?
 * Why do I have to listen to songs I have on my hard drive, and songs from services I subscribe to, in totally different user experience silos?
 * If I am a music subscription service provider, why do I need to incur the costs of streaming you content you already have locally?

Tomahawk Installation:
Just add ppa:tomahawk/ppa to your sources, update and install. In more detail:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomahawk/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tomahawk

Tomahawk can search and play the music using Resolver, resolver as an available content source or library that can be searched and streamed from. For example: your local music library, libraries of other machines on your local network, your personal music-locker-in-the-cloud, etc. Whenever you request to play a song, Tomahawk sends requests to all of those available resources (each are prioritized) and when it gets a good result, it plays it from that source and stops asking for it from the others.

Adding Resolver:
Just open Tomahawk's Preferences menu and select the "Resolvers" tab. From there just click the "Get More Resolvers" button to browse the available resolvers and simply click the "install" button to get going.

Ideas Content Resolvers
 * Searching free sources such as magnatune.com or archive.org
 * Have a premium Rdio, Mog or Rhapsody subscription? Write a resolver plugin or script to use it.
 * UPnP Media Devices
 * Amazon and Google Music Lockers
 * Any online service that has a search/streaming API



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails